In this article we’ll make a collection of Swami Vivekananda‘s quotes and comment on health. Related articles are listed at the bottom of the page.
- Build up your health. Do not dwell in silence upon your sorrows.[Source]
- Consciously or unconsciously, health can be transmitted. A very strong man, living with a weak man, will make him a little stronger, whether he knows it or not.[Source]
- He who wants to become a Bhakta must be strong, must be healthy.[Source]
- How to transcend the senses without disturbing the health is what we want to learn.[Source]
- No negative, all positive, affirmative. I am, God is, everything is in me. I will manifest health, purity, knowledge, whatever I want.[Source]
- Pay particular attention to your health, but too much coddling of the body will, on the contrary, also spoil the health.[Source]
- Real love is love for love’s sake. I do not ask health or money or life or salvation.[Source]
- The one who actually succeeds in making himself believe that he is having a good time is the man of splendid physical health.[Source]
- The sign of vigour, the sign of life, the sign of hope, the sign of health, the sign of everything that is good, is strength. As long as the body lives, there must be strength in the body, strength in the mind, [and strength] in the hand.[Source]
- This craving for health, wealth, long life, and the like — the so – called good — is nothing but an illusion.[Source]
- We must not forget that health is only a means to an end. If health were the end, we would be like animals; animals rarely become unhealthy.[Source]
- We never want Him. We say, “Lord, give me a fine house.” We want the house, not Him. “Give me health! Save me from this difficulty!” When a man wants nothing but Him, [he gets Him].[Source]
- When the body is still healthy and diseaseless, When old age has not yet attacked it,
When the organs have not yet lost their power,
And life is still full and undiminished,
Now, now, struggle on, rendering great help to yourself! My friend, it is useless to try to dig a well
In a house that is already on fire! (translation of Bhatrihari’s verses on renunciation)[Source]
- You must all pay attention to your health first.[Source]
- You must keep a strict eye on your health; let everything else be subordinated to that.[Source]
Yoga and health
From Complete Works, Volume V—[Source]
Q. — Does Yoga serve to keep the body in its full health and vitality?
A. — It does. It staves off disease. As objectification of one’s own body is difficult, it is very effective in regard to others. Fruit and milk are the best food for Yogis.