In this article we’ll make a collection of Swami Vivekananda‘s quotes and comment on Rama (Hindi: राम, Bengali: রাম, Shri Rama or Rama Chandra)
Swami Vivekananda told—
Rama, the ancient idol of the heroic ages,
the embodiment of truth, of morality,
the ideals son, the ideals husband,
the ideal father, and, above all,
the ideals all, the ideal king.
- He who was Shri Rama, whose stream of love flowed with resistless might even to the Chandala (the outcaste); Oh, who ever was engaged in doing good to the world though superhuman by nature, whose renown there is none to equal in the three worlds, Sita’s beloved, whose body of Knowledge Supreme was covered by devotion sweet in the form of Sita.[Source]
- I have come to deal with principles. I have only to preach that God comes again and again, and that He came in India as Krishna, Rama, and Buddha, and that He will come again. It can almost be demonstrated that after each 500 years the world sinks, and a tremendous spiritual wave comes, and on the top of the wave is a Christ.[Source]
- Rama, the ancient idol of the heroic ages, the embodiment of truth, of morality, the ideals son, the ideals husband, the ideal father, and, above all, the ideals all, the ideal king, this Rama has been presented before us by the great saint Valmiki.
- Rama and Sita are the ideals of the Indian nation.[Source]
- Rama gave up his body and joined Sita in the other world.[Source]
- “Where there is Rama, there is no Kama; where there is Kama, there Rama is not. Night and day can never exist together.” The voice of the ancient sages proclaim to us, “If you desire to attain God, you will have to renounce Kâma-Kânchana (lust and possession).[Source]
- You have now to make the character of Mahavira your ideal. See how at the command of Ramachandra he crossed the ocean. He had no care for life or death! He was a perfect master of his senses and wonderfully sagacious. You have now to build your life on this great ideal of personal service. Through that, all other ideals will gradually manifest in life. Obedience to the Guru without questioning, and strict observance of Brahmacharya — this is the secret of success. As on the one hand Hanuman represent the ideal of service, so on the other hand he represents leonine courage, striking the whole world with awe. He has not the least hesitation in sacrificing his life for the good of Rama. A supreme indifference to everything except the service of Rama, even to the attainment of the status of Brahma and Shiva, the great World – gods! Only the carrying out of Shri Rama’s best is the one vow of this life! Such whole – hearted devotion is wanted.[Source]
- Rama was the soul of the old king; but he was a king, and he could not go back on his word.[Source]