Kshudiram Chattopadhyay (1775-1843) – Father of Sri Ramakrishna, eldest son of Manikram of Derepur village about 2 miles west of Kamarpukur. Brothers Nidhiram and Kanairam, sister Ramshila. Widely respected for meticulous observance of scriptural code, religious rites, adherence to truth and strong personality. Also known for non-acceptance of gifts and offerings from non-brahmins. Married Chandramani Devi at the age of 24 after untimely death of first wife. Subsequent to the birth of son Ramkumar and daughter Katyayani, incurred the wrath of the despotic local zamindar by his refusal to give false evidence in his favour in a lawsuit. Faced destitution, having to leave ancestral home in Derepur along with about 50 acres of land. Found shelter at Kamarpukur where his erstwhile friend and the local zamindar, Sukhlal Goswami, provided him with a piece of agricultural land, approximately one acre, and relinquished for good a portion of his own homestead for Kshudiram’s use. Sri Rama and Sitala Devi (symbolized by an urn) were the household deities Kshudiram worshipped daily. Through divine command in a dream Kshudiram came to acquire a sacred stone symbolizing Raghuvira. After the marriages of Ramkumar and Katyayani, Kshudiram went on pilgrimage to Setubandh Rameswaram whence he brought home an image of Shiva, a Rameshwar bana-linga. Second son Rameshwar born in 1826. In early 1835 Kshudiram visited Gaya to make offerings to the manes of his ancestors. The presiding deity of Gaya, Gadadhar (Vishnu), appeared to him in a dream and announced his forthcoming advent as Kshudiram’s son. About a year later, on 18.2.1836, Kshudiram’s youngest son, Gadadhar, was born. His youngest daughter, Sarvamangala, was born 3 years later. In 1843 had gone to his nephew Ramchand’s house in Selimpur village to attend Durga Puja and died there in the afternoon of Vijaya Dashami after an attack of severe diarrhoea.